Holly Jolly Gift Card Holder
Make giving a gift card memorable with a handmade (and reusable) felt envelope. I used red and white felt and thread with two iconic Christmas images—a tree and a present (which is a button). The tree is sewn onto the front of the envelope, but you can sew any other shape you like or none at all. You can also use paint and stencils/stamps to create your own design. Try personalizing it by adding the recipient’s name or by using his/her favorite colors. Changing the colors will also make it appropriate for any occasion (birthday, baby shower, etc.). This envelope can be used again and again or even hung on the Christmas tree as a keepsake.
Supplies & Tools:
- Printable template (download here)
- Felt: white, red, green
- Embroidery floss: red, white
- Decorative button
- Embroidery needle
- Thin ribbon, about 3/8″ wide
- Print the template and cut out pieces that are on page 1. Keep pages 2–3 for reference.
- Trace each piece onto corresponding felt color and cut out.
- Place piece #3 in the middle of #1a.
- Using red floss, sew a zigzag line in the middle of #3. This zigzag line will join pieces #1 and #3 together, and it will resemble garland on the tree. Begin sewing at the bottom piece #3, working your way up to the peak of the tree.
- Once at the tip of the tree, sew a sequin at the top. (You will need to pierce a second hole in the sequin in order to keep it in place.)
- Cut a length of red floss that is about 20″.
- Sew a border around three sides of piece #1b.
- Set piece #1 aside.
- Sew a large decorative button over the “+” on piece #2. I sewed a present-shaped button on mine.
- Cut button hole in piece #1a. My button is almost 1″ wide, (7/8″ to be exact) so I am cutting my button hole 1″ wide. You may cut your button hole smaller or larger depending on the size of your button.
- Take piece #1 and flip over.
- Rotate piece #2 180° so that the button is facing the right direction.
- Place piece #2 on #1a.
- Cut a piece of ribbon that is 1.5″ long. Fold ribbon in half and place the ends of ribbon in between piece #2 and #1a (see diagram). (You will sew it down in Step 16.)
- Cut a length of white floss that is about 24″ long.
- Sew pieces #2 and #1a together. Sew along the outer three edges of #1a (see diagram).
- Now you can place a gift card inside.
- Fold white flap (#1b) over to close.
- To hang it on a Christmas tree, attach an ornament hanger to the ribbon.
You May Also Like