Gift Baskets: Putting the Pieces Together
So, you’ve got all the stuff for your gift basket, but need some help putting it all together? No problem! I have listed some basic gift wrapping supplies, although you may decide if you would like to wrap with something other than cellophane (tulle, for example). Leave a comment if you have any questions about wrapping or for advice!
Supplies & Tools:
- Paper shreds (Crinkle grass)
- Chenille stems
- Wire cutters
Tips & Tricks:
- Select a basket with a wide base. Choose one that is fairly sturdy and will not give way easily; it needs to be able to withstand the weight of the items inside. A round base tends to rock when heavy items are placed inside, so a rectangular basket is preferable. The type of basket also depends on the items that you are putting inside. For example, if you are placing several bottles of lotion, shampoo, or conditioner, then a high-walled basket would be appropriate.
- If your basket has high walls, use foam (reuse what you can find) or crumpled paper. There are benefits to using either one, so it depends on your preference or on the items that you will place inside. Foam will give a flat surface to work on, while paper will yield under the weight of the gifts. You can use this to your advantage when arranging gifts in the basket. Boxes, for example, can be challenging to arrange in the basket, but when you have a soft surface (such as paper), you can move the paper around to make the box fit.
- Add the largest/heaviest items to the basket first.
- Tall items should go in the back.
- Next, add any odd shaped items (such as a long, skinny box).
- Shortest/smallest items go in the front where they will be most visible.
- Fragile items go on top (or front) where the will not get crushed.
- After items are in the basket, fill in any holes with paper shreds.
- Wrap in cellophane, and tie with a chenille stem. Trim excess cellophane. Fold and tuck the sides of cellophane over. Use tape to secure in place.
- Tie a bow at the top of the basket and you’re done!
Need ideas for things to include in the basket? Check out my post on ideas for goodies to go in gourmet food basket here.
You May Also Like