Paper Ornaments: A Little Orb
So far today, I’ve shared some traditional paper ornaments and a balloon shaped ornament. This little orb ornament can be made from any type of paper—copy paper, scrapbook paper, you name it! Add a personal touch by drawing or painting the paper prior to cutting it.
Supplies & Tools:
- 2 sheets of paper, different colors or prints
- Cardboard roll (0.5″ diameter)
- Cutting mat
- Hot glue
- Hot glue gun
- One-hole punch
- Measure and cut paper into strips 0.5″ wide by 5″ long.
- You need 10 strips from each sheet of paper, a total of 20 strips.
- Cut a circle that is about 1.5″.
- Lay circle on working surface, printed side down.
- Begin gluing strips to the circle, alternating colors.
- Be sure to alternate colors, so that your ornament looks like this from the front.
- Continue gluing strips until the circle is filled. (You may have strips left over.)
- Place cutting mat on flat surface.
- Place cardboard roll on cutting mat, and use your X-Acto to cut a piece that is about 1–1.25″ long.
- Glue the cardboard piece on top of the strips in the center.
- Cut another circle that is about 1.5″.
- Glue this circle on top of the cardboard piece.
- Begin gluing the strips on top of the circle, working your way around the ornament.
- Continue gluing until all strips are glued down.
- Cut another circle that is 1.5″.
- Using the one-hole punch, cut a hole in the middle of the circle.
- Cut a piece of ribbon that is about 7″ long.
Note: Cut the ends at an angle to make it easier to push through the hole.
- Push the ends of ribbon through the hole of the circle. Be sure that the ends stick out on the unprinted side of the paper.
- Using hot glue, glue the ends of the ribbon down to the circle.
- Apply glue to the unprinted side of the circle and press down onto ornament.
- Now your ornament is complete!
- I got my cardboard roll from an empty box of plastic wrap. If you don’t have a roll this size, you can make your own cardboard roll. Cut a couple strips of paper that are 1″ wide by 11″ long. Begin rolling up the paper, securing with hot glue as you roll. This will create a cylinder shape similar to the cardboard roll that is used above.
- Don’t try to make this without the cardboard roll. I tried making this without the inner structure, but it did not have the same shape. It looked like a lumpy lemon.
Ideas from the elves:
- Use construction paper. Omit the circle in steps 15–20. Glue ribbon directly on top of ornament. Tie a small bow and glue on top.