Share This Craft
Cheery Palm Trees
When coming up with decoration ideas for your Christmas in July party, think of it as a summer-meets-Christmas mash-up. It’s hard not to associate summer with the beach, so palm trees make an excellent wall decoration. We found the paper at a school supply store and used tape to stick it onto the wall, but if you had a large corkboard (in a classroom, for example), you could use a stapler instead.
Supplies & Tools:
- Kraft paper (48" wide roll)
- Green paper (48" wide roll)
- Black marker
- Artist tape
- Newspaper or cardboard
- Unroll kraft paper onto a flat surface. Cut paper to desired length, and set the roll aside.
Note: If your table isn't big enough, tape your sheet of paper on the wall so that you can draw more easily.
- Use pencil to draw the outline of the tree trunk. It may take a few tries to get the outline you are happy with. We recommend using a Magic Rub Eraser since it erases nicely and doesn’t tear up the paper.
- If you taped your paper to the wall, transfer it to a table (or a carpet-free floor).
- Place newspaper under the kraft paper so that the marker doesn’t bleed onto your work surface. Trace over the pencil with the black marker (such as a chisel tip Sharpie). If you don’t have newspaper, you can use cardboard or any other flat scrap material to lie between the kraft paper and your work surface.
- Erase stray pencil marks if needed.
- Cut out.
- Unroll a piece of kraft paper and cut.
- Draw frond shapes onto kraft paper. It took us a couple of tries to get a shape that we liked, so we recommend experimenting with scrap (or inexpensive) material like the kraft paper before you cut up the green paper.
- Unroll green paper onto a flat surface.
- Place kraft paper fronds onto green paper and trace.
- Cut out.
- Draw coconut shapes onto scrap pieces of kraft paper.
- Trace with black marker.
- Cut out.
- Tape trunk to wall. (Or staple, if you have a corkboard.)
- Add palm fronds and coconuts.
- Add ornaments (click here to make these cute, sparkly ornaments) and garland, if desired.