Share This Craft
Easy Yarn Pompoms
You may recall making these pompoms from your childhood; we certainly do! These easy decorations can be used in a number of ways—from centerpieces to wreaths to gift wrapping. However you decide to use them, you can make a variety of different pompoms by changing the color of yarn, the type of yarn, or the size. For more fun, try making multi-color pompoms with 2 or more colors and/or textures of yarn.
Supplies & Tools:
- Cut a piece of yarn that is 7–8" long.
- Hold this piece of yarn in between forefinger and middle finger. (Reserve this piece for later.)
- Hold forefinger and middle finger together; they will be your guide as you make the pompom.
Note: you can use 2, 3, or 4 fingers to vary the size.
- Take hold of the yarn from the skein. Begin wrapping yarn around your fingers. We wrapped yarn around 2 fingers about 25 times for small pompoms and about 45 times when wrapped around 3 or 4 fingers.
- Cut yarn from the skein.
- Use yarn on reserve to gather yarn that is wrapped around your fingers.
- Gently tug the yarn off your fingers.
- Now firmly tie yarn in a knot to gather all the loops of yarn.
- Next cut all the loops of yarn.
- The yarn will be many different lengths, so trim the ends so that you have a nice round pompom.