Share This Craft
Cozy Felt Coasters
These felt coasters are great to give as a gift, as they will last a long time and are washable! Have fun trying different designs with stamps, cutting decorative edges with a rotary cutter, and adding accents with embroidery floss. Make a holiday set with traditional Christmas colors or, if you are giving them as a gift, use colors that the recipient would love.
Supplies & Tools:
- Red felt
- White felt
- Rotary cutter with a pinking blade*
- Cutting mat
- Metal ruler
- Straight pins
- Embroidery floss (any color)
- Embroidery needle
- Fabric paint
- Foam stamps
- Foam brush
- Paper plate
*You can use pinking shears instead of a rotary cutter.
- Choose colors of felt that you wish to use. For this coaster, let’s use white for the inner square and red for the outer square.
- Lay cutting mat on flat surface.
- Cut one 4" square from white felt. If using pinking blade on rotary cutter, be sure to use a straightedge. Set aside.
- Cut one 4.5" square from red felt. (Pinking the edges is optional.) Set aside.
- Pour a quarter-sized amount of paint onto paper plate.
- Wet foam brush with paint and apply paint to foam stamp.
- Press stamp down onto the center of white felt square.
- Remove stamp and set aside.
- Allow paint to dry. Meanwhile, wash the paint off of your stamp.
- When paint is dry, stack felt pieces together, stamped side facing up.
- Make sure the white square is in the center of the red square. Use straight pins to hold pieces together.
- Using embroidery floss, hand-sew a running stitch around the inside border of white square.
- Tie off ends of thread and conceal between the layers of felt. See more detailed instructions here.
Ideas from the Elves:
- Make the coaster with 3 pieces of felt.
- Add a border of ribbon, sew in place or use fabric glue such as Dritz Liquid Stitch.
- Cut circles instead of squares.
- Use contrasting colored thread.