Share This Craft
Holiday Favor Bags
These versatile bags can be used for party favors, small gifts, or little goodies you plan on giving to your co-workers. Use a solid color fabric and you can personalize the bag, or use foam stamps to make a nice print. If you use a printed fabric, use caution when cutting and sewing the fabric, as you don’t want a bag with an upside-down print!
Supplies & Tools:
- Printable template (download here)
- 0.5 yard fabric
- Thread to coordinate w/ fabric
- Thin ribbon (1/8" wide)
- Straight pins
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
- Small safety pin
- Print the template and cut out pattern on page 1. Set aside diagrams (template pages 2 & 3) for future reference.
- Pin template to fabric and cut out along solid lines. Be sure to cut the small slits and the little hole in the middle. See .pdf file for diagrams.
Note: To cut the hole in the middle, fold the fabric and template in half and cut out circle.
- Unfold fabric so that the wrong side is facing up.
- Fold the flaps (which are above the incision) over and pin in place.
- Using sewing machine, sew each flap in place. Trim excess thread.
- Lay fabric on work surface, wrong side up.
- Fold top edge down 1.5 inches. Use pins to secure in place.
- Sew two lines, one just above and one just below the hole. Remove pins and set aside. Cut excess thread.
- Lay fabric on work surface, right side up. Fold in half, bringing the left side over to the right side.
- Sew along the raw edges.
- Turn right side out.
- Cut 2 pieces of ribbon where each piece is 7" long.
- Use a small safety pin (or a needle with a large eye) and thread it through the space created. Pass through the bag. Remove safety pin and set aside. Tie ends of ribbon in a knot.
- Use safety pin to thread the second piece of ribbon through the hole (the small cut-out) and pass through the bag. Remove safety pin and set aside. Tie ribbon ends in a knot.
- Pull ribbon ends to close the bag.
Idea from the elves:
- Open bag and lay flat on work surface. Place a piece of scrap paper inside the bag so that the paint does not bleed through.
- Using foam brush, lightly apply a coat of paint on the foam stamp.
- Carefully lay the stamp onto bag, press firmly.
- Remove the stamp and set aside.
- Let bag dry completely.
- Repeat on the reverse side if desired.
- Remove paper from inside the bag.