Share This Craft
Chipper Christmas Birdie
This cute, fluffy, little bird needs a cozy home on your Christmas tree! Make one (or several) with bright colors for a whimsical Christmas or natural colors for classic appeal. We love the look of hand-sewn stitches, so we’re partial to using thread in a contrasting color.
Supplies & Tools:
- Printable template (download here)
- Straight pins
- Felt, at least 3 colors
- Embroidery floss, any color
- Embroidery needle
- You can also use sequins, mini wiggly eyes, or small buttons for the bird’s eyes.
- 1/8" wide ribbon
- Mini hot glue gun
- Mini hot glue sticks
- Print out template and cut out pieces.
- Choose felt color for the bird’s body and wings.
- Pin pattern pieces to felt.
- Cut out pieces. Remove pins and pattern; set aside.
- Place a wing onto each body piece and sew in place. Be sure that the two body pieces are mirror images of each other.
- Sew a bead for the eye on each body piece.
- Cut a piece of ribbon that is 6" long.
- Flip one body piece over, and glue a loop of ribbon. Glue the ribbon about 0.5" from the edge. (You don’t want the glue near the edge since you will be sewing the pieces together.)
- Now, stack body pieces together. Be sure that the wings are facing outward.
- Begin sewing around the body. You can do a straight stitch or a blanket stitch. Start sewing at the top of the bird’s head, along the back, and around to its belly.
- Now pause for a moment to stuff the bird with Poly-fil®.
- Once stuffed, continue sewing, adding a beak to the head.
- Once you reach your first stitches, sew a few extra stitches for security.
- To tie off the thread and hide the knot, poke needle through one layer of felt, pulling it through the middle of felt layers.
- Double knot the thread, keeping the knot flush with the felt.
- Poke the needle in between the layers of felt to hide the knot.
- Pull needle through belly of bird and cut thread.
- Now you're all done!
Ideas from the elves:
- Use yarn to make dangly legs, and tie knots for feet.
- Put the ornament in a paper cone and give them away as Christmas gifts or party favors!
- Decorate a gift with a bird or two instead of a traditional bow.